Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Eggless Orange Rhubarb Muffins

Last week we got our first Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) box of food from Olden Produce in Ripon, WI.  The email they sent out letting us know what we were going to receive mentioned rhubarb.  I had visions of  bunches and bunches of rhubarb.  I was planning pies and preserves.  I don't know why.  Our rhubarb at home has done pretty poorly due to the early hot, dry summer.  Did I think they had some magic rhubarb at the farm?  I don't know.  What I do know is that we only got 3 stalks of rhubarb.  Not enough for one pie, or half a pie, or half a strawberry-rhubarb pie.

What to do with this rhubarb?  So I got to thinking; the one thing that hardly ever goes uneaten at our house is muffins.  I started looking for recipes for inspiration and came across Orange-Rhubarb Muffins at the Rhubarb Compendium online.  Perfect!  I love citrus with rhubarb.  The two flavors play so well together!  I always add a little orange zest to my rhubarb pie.  What could be better?

So here is my egg-free, nut-free version. (This one also happens to be milk-free.)  I also tweaked the amount of rhubarb.  They came out just about perfect.  Everyone enjoyed them, even my hubby who is not in love with rhubarb in quite the same was as my son and I are.

Eggless Orange Rhubarb Muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup applesauce
1/4 up vegetable oil
zest of one orange or to taste
3/4 cup orange juice
1 cup rhubarb, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare muffin tin by either lining with paper liners or coating with non-stick cooking spray.  When making muffins without eggs, I prefer to use cooking spray.  For some reason eggless muffins don't seem to come out of the paper liners very well, making a mess and leaving everyone feeling cheated because half the muffin is still on the paper.  If you coat the muffin tin well, including the top, they should slide out nicely.

Combine the first five ingredients (the dry stuff).  Mix the applesauce, oil, and orange juice until well blended.  Add this to the dry ingredients.  Stir to combine being careful not to over mix.  Fold in the rhubarb. Spoon into muffin tins, and bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Let cool for about 5 minutes, and then remove from the tin and place on a wire rack to continue cooling.

ENJOY!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment